Surplus Property and Storage
The University of Miami Property Surplus Department handles all transfers, disposals, and recycling of University Property. Surplus Property must be contacted at 305 243-9696 before any University equipment or furniture is transferred or disposed of. The Surplus Office will contact the department and arrange for pick-up and/or disposal once The Equipment Transfer Form is received. This service is free.
• Property Surplus Warehouse
• Procedures for Storage
• Procedures for Disposal of Equipment, Surplus, and Transfers
• Moving materials
• Storage Warehouse Location
• Receiving Staff
• Storage Warehouse Staff
• Storage Warehouse
Property Surplus Warehouse
Surplus items are stored at the warehouse located at 6891 NW 74 Street, Medley, FL 33166. Property Surplus receives deliveries from all four campuses two to three times a week. Hours of operation for Sales are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Property Surplus Warehouse is open to the University of Miami and the general public during hours of operation without appointment. Walk-ins are welcome. Individuals can expect to find below market prices. Items on sale include computers, filing cabinets, furniture, coffee makers, scientific equipment, boats and cars.
For more information about the Surplus Property Warehouse and the items on sale there, call 305-243-9696 or fax 305-243-0763.
Procedures for Disposal of Equipment, Surplus, and Transfers
Procedures for departments:
1. Departments must contact the Surplus Office at 305-243-9696 before disposing, transferring, or “surplusing” equipment and university property.
2. Complete the Equipment Transfers/Surplus form for any and all furniture/equipment to be recycled. Include the University decal number, serial number, manufacturer and model, and Condition of the equipment. Location of equipment must be clearly stated.
3. Complete an Interdepartmental Requisition or Physical Plant Work Order form for equipment removal addressed to UM Trucking or Unicco according to point of origin.
4. Fax both forms to the Surplus Office at 305-243-0736 or scan and email to Surplusproperty@med.miami.edu. Keep the originals.
5. The respective Trucking Dept (UM Moving / Unicco) will contact the department and arrange for pick-up and or disposal.
6. When the equipment is picked up, the department must provide the original and completed Equipment Transfers/Surplus form.
7. UM Moving / Unicco will sign the original to show that all the items were picked up. The department can then fax the completed form to the Property Accounting Office at 305-284-1544 and keep originals for their records.
Changes in Disposing of Surplus IT Equipment
A new procedure to dispose of surplus IT equipment goes into effect on August 15, 2011. Currently, departments wishing to dispose of their surplus IT equipment contact Medical Information Technology to schedule hard drives removal, once this process is completed then Surplus will schedule a pickup.
Effective August 15, 2011, the new procedure is the following:
1. The requesting department completes the Equipment Transfers/Surplus form http://ihs.med.miami.edu/x39.xml#PropertySurplusWarehouse
2. The requesting department completes an IDR addressed to Medical Receiving
3. The completed Equipment Transfers/Surplus form and IDR are to be submitted via email to the Surplus Property office at email@example.com
4. A copy of the Equipment Transfers/Surplus form must also be sent to Medical Information Technology via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Medical Information Technology will create an incident acknowledging receipt of the request. A Medical Information Technology staff member will contact the requesting department to schedule a time to remove the hard drives from the surplus IT devices
5. The computer casing will be labeled when the hard drive is removed
6. The Surplus Office will arrange for pick-up and or disposal by Medical Receiving
7. The removed drive will be degaussed by Medical Information Technology and sent for destruction
Questions can be directed to Elia Torres from Medical Information Technology 305-243-3228 or Alberto Ramon from the Property Surplus Office at 305-243-9696.
IMPORTANT: There will be no disposal or delivery of surplus equipment without proper documentation.
6891 NW 74th Street
Miami, Florida 33166
Office 305 243-9696
Hours of Operation
Tuesdays and Thursdays
9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Olga Lidia Mesa
Senior Shipping/Receiving Clerk